Undergraduate Awards and Fellowships
Holden Furber Prize
Awarded annually for the best undergraduate essay on any topic related to South Asia. The award will be for $300 and competition is open to all students of the University of Pennsylvania. Papers should be submitted to the Department of South Asia Studies, 820 Williams Hall, 36th & Spruce St. or send a pdf via email to Zoe Beckerman at email@example.com. The deadline for submission of papers is Wed, April 15, 2015 .
SAST Summer Research Grant
The Department of South Asia Studies invites applications for the
South Asia Undergraduate Research Grants, Summer 2015 Application deadline is Wed, April 15th.
The South Asia Studies department will award up to three research/travel grants (maximum of $3000 each) for Spring-Summer 2015 to support undergraduate research projects involving travel to South Asia.
Applicants should submit:
1) A statement of 500 words or less indicating the nature of their project and how it fits into their academic program at Penn (preference towards South Asia Majors/Minors)
2) an unofficial Penn transcript
3) a budget and funding request
4) a brief statement from a faculty member who would be guiding the research (this may be addressed to "SAST Awards Committee")
5) a list of other applications being submitted to support this research. (Applications for other grants will be viewed favorably in the review process.)
The competition is restricted to undergraduate students in their first, second, or third year of study; applications from seniors graduating in Spring '15 will not be considered.
Please provide COMPLETE applications to: Zoe Beckerman firstname.lastname@example.org 820 Williams Hall (you may drop off paper applications or send in pdf form via email) The deadline for COMPLETE applications is now April 15, 2015.
• (2) Undergraduates who are US citizens or permanent residents AND who have declared a major by the application deadline and who will study a FLAS language at the intermediate or advanced level during the fellowship year.
• (1) Graduate students who are US citizens or permanent residents AND who are enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) in a full-time program that combines modern foreign language training with international or area studies or with the international aspects of professional or other fields of study.
Submit your transcript, resume, 2 letters of recommendation, and a 1-page statement by the deadline of Feb 27th, 2015. Visit www.sas.upenn.edu/flas for full details on how to apply.
- A range of South Asian languages are available.
- Summer FLAS Fellows will receive $5,000 toward tuition and a $2,500 stipend
- Undergraduate academic year fellows will receive $10,000 toward tuition and a $5,000 stipend
- Graduate academic year FLAS Fellows will receive $18,000 toward tuition and a $15,000 stipend